This heavy cruiser, derived from the Brooklyn, which he shared the hull with square stern, was authorized under the Treaty of London, for the fiscal year 1935. A Brooklyn derivative was proposed, with better equipment and space available for its aviation embarked, superstructures revised to release an additional firing arc, a secondary armament in simple turrets, a higher freeboard, a better stability, new turrets whose parts were more spaced, and finally a much better protection, while exceeding the limit of 10,000 tonnes.
When the Wichita entered service in 1939, it was an important milestone in the design of the heavy-duty American cruisers of the 1940s: The great Baltimores studied in 1940 were closely inspired by them.
However, when the boundaries of the treaty flew away at the beginning of the conflict, the engineers were free to add two additional 127 mm single turrets and largely reinforce its DCA, now including 40 and 20 mm guns. (8 of 40 mm and 15 of 20 mm). It was little modified until 1944, at this time gaining a radar while its bridges was lightened and equipped with an open bridge.
He spent most of his career in the Atlantic, escorting convoys with the Royal Navy. In 1948, the office of ships and repair conducted a study for its conversion into a missile cruiser. In the end he was favored by Baltimore class units and joined the demolition yard in 1959.
Characteristics (in 1941):
Displacement: 10,589 t. standard -13 015 t. Full Load
Dimensions: 185,42 m long, 18,82 m wide, 7,24 m of draft
Machines: 4 propellers, 4 Parsons turbines, 8 Babcock and Wilcox boilers, 100,000 hp.
Maximum speed: 33 knots
Armor: Belt 152, turrets 203, bridges 57mm
Armament: 9 guns of 203 mm (3 × 3), 8 of 127 mm, 8 ML 12.7 mm AA, 4 aircraft