Magdeburg, Breslau, Strassburg, Stralsund
A brand new step in cruiser design
The Magdeburg class marked a new milestone in the design of German cruisers. Significantly larger than the Kolberg (5600 tons against 4900 PC), they focused also on a range of significant improvements (see later). These four ships (Magdeburg, Breslau, Strassburg, Stralsund) were completed in August-December 1912 and had a quite significant and active carrer.
They were the first to have a belt nickel current of 80% of the waterline, welded to the hull itself, as part of its structure. Hull prop up one using a technique of longitudinal frames, and hydrodynamic features had it been reworked extensively, as evidenced by the clipper bow.
Abandoning the quarterdeck was the other a necessity to give these ships a capacity to lay mines.
These ships had different turbines, and admitted speeds between 27.5 and 28.2 knots. 1915-16, the Strassburg et Stralsund were rearmed with 7 parts of 150 mm 2 88 AA and two additional TLT on deck. Breslau ft rearmed with two pieces of 150 mm in 1916 and 8 in 1917.
Diagram of the Breslau.
The SMS Magdeburg was on a minelaying raid in the Baltic, August 26, 1914 when she ran aground on a reef of the island Odensholm and was then pounded into submission by a Russian cruiser. The latter made its crew prisoner and retrieved the secret code book of the Hochseeflotte which was transmitted to the British intelligence service. Breslau was the sailor of Goeben, the other half of Mediterranean squadron of Rear-Admiral Souchon. It took refuge in Constantinople, and was officially acquired by the Turkish navy, renamed later Midilli. It sank 20 January 1918 because of mines off Imbros. The SMS Strassburg survived the war and was transferred to the Italians, becoming the Taranto. The SMS Stralsund experienced a similar fate and was offered to France, renamed Mulhouse and paid off and sold for scrap in 1935 in Brest.