Italian Torpedo Cruisers (1886-91)

Italy – Regia Marina

The Torpedo cruiser fad

During the years 1885-1890, the Italians started 16 torpedo cruisers, a fashionable solution against the first torpedo boats. In 1910 the destroyers had made them obsolete. The Italians chose to transform their still operational ships into minelayers, and they were rebuilt with a forecastle and new machines, as well as a new armament.


This is a placeholder post, waiting to be greatly enhanced and improved


It was the only Tripoli (1886), Goito and Montebello of the Goito class (1885), and Partenope, Minerva and Euridice of the Partenope class (1888-91). The Tripoli was designed by Benedetto Brin and was the precursor of the following classes. She was rearmed in 1904 and rebuilt and re-armed a second time in 1910, bearing two 76-mm, 57-mm, and 64-gun parts.
She was deleted from the lists in 1923.

Partenope

The Goito was converted in 1897 and carried 60 mines. The Montebello served as a training ship for the mechanics in 1898 and was converted in 1903. Finally, the last three were modified in 1906-1909, thus having a new armament (see sheet). The Iride and the Minerva were erased in 1920 and 1921 but the Partenope was sunk by the UC67 on March 23, 1918.

Minelayers conversion and new constructions

During the years 1885-1890, the Italians started 16 torpedo cruisers, a fashionable solution against the first torpedo boats. In 1910 the destroyers had made them obsolete. The Italians chose to transform their still operational buildings into mine anchors, and they were rebuilt with a forecastle and new machines, as well as a new armament. It was the only Tripoli (1886), Goito and Montebello of the Goito class (1885), and Partenope, Minerva and Euridice of the Partenope class (1888-91).

The Tripoli was designed by Benedetto Brin and was the precursor of the following classes. It was rearmed in 1904 and rebuilt and re-armed a second time in 1910, bearing two 76-mm, 57-mm, and 64-gun parts. It was deleted from the lists in 1923. The Goito was converted in 1897 and carried 60 mines. The Montebello served as a training ship for the mechanics in 1898 and was converted in 1903. Finally, the last three were modified in 1906-1909, thus having a new armament (see sheet). The Iride and the Minerva were erased in 1920 and 1921 but the Partenope was sunk by the UC67 on March 23, 1918.

Specifications
Displacement: 900t, 960t. FL
Dimensions: 73.1 x 8.22 x 3.5 m
Propulsion: 2 shaft VTE, 4 cyl. Boilers, 2500/3500 hp. and 17-18 knots max.
Protection: Deck, blockhouse 30 mm
Crew: 110
Armament: 2 x 76 mm, 4 x 57 mm, 2 x 37 mm, 60 mines.


Partenope – author’s illustration

See also:
https://fr.naval-encyclopedia.com/1ere-guerre-mondiale/marine-italienne1914.php#crois

Piemonte (1888)
Amiraglio Di St Bon class Battleships (1897)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.