The first postwar soviet destroyers
The Skoriy (or Skoryy) was a somewhat backward response to the large series of standardized destroyers of the American Fletcher and Gearing classes. These were essentially a takeover of the Ognevoi class from 1940, but they incorporated many of the technologies inherited from German ships captured or transferred as war damage. These buildings were longer and wider than their ancestors, but retained a traditional two-deck hull. Their general design also remained very classical, with benches of torpedo tubes distributed between the two chimneys and the quarter deck, a more modern double turret artillery, and a powerful AA battery, according to the standards imposed in 1944-45.
The previous ww2 Ognevoi class
Design work started in October 1945, and was finalized and approved in January 1947. Their hull structure and construction also marked a turning point. Their reinforced shell was pre-assembled in 101 sections to accelerate construction. Therefore most were assembled in a little more than a year a bit like the mass-produced American destroyers.
HD profile, cdts tech-domain.com
51 destroyers left Soviet shipyards, the first of which was the Smeliy, which was laid down in May 1948, and the last, the Ozhestochenniy, in March 1953. Their marine qualities were still criticized in heavy weather, with the artillery pieces being blinded by the swell and reduced the top speed to 28 knots. Moreover, maneuverability was mediocre and stability perfectible (counter-hulls were added quickly).
Modifications in service
Their original AA battery consisted of a double gun mount of 85 mm and 7 mm of 37 mm in simple mountings, but in 1952 the new standard became for all 8 mounts of 37 mm in four double cradles and between 2 and 6 of 25 mm (Instead of those of 85 mm). The 130 mm had 150 shots each, the 85 mm 300. The sonar was also replaced by a new model. They took 85 tons, in particular to further weigh the hull in order to counter pitching.
From 1957 onwards, a modernization gave them a new focus, mainly ASW: This involved the removal of their heavy front rangefinder from the central TT bench and the addition of two RBU-2500 rocket launchers, the AA artillery being replaced by 5 single 57 mm cannons.
As early as 1956, transfers began: Egypt (6), Indonesia (7). The remainder would be disarmed between 1973 and 1987. In total 70 ships seems to have been built. This was the largest operational Soviet destroyer class ever, answering the Gearing class. These ships served ion the four fleets (Baltic, Arctic, Black sea and Far East) until the end of the Cold War.
Indonesian RI Siliwangi Jalesveva Jayamahe
Skoriy class specifications (1951)
|Dimensions||120,5 x 12 x 3,9m (ft)|
|Displacement||2316-3066t, 8565t FL|
|Propulsion||2 props, 4 turbines, 60,000 hp|
|Speed||36.5 knots as designed (xx km/h; )|
|Armament||4×130 mm (2×2), 2×85 mm, 7×37 mm, 2×5 TT 533mm, 2 ASW mort., 2 racks, 52 charges|
|Electronics||Gyus 1B, Ryf-1, Redan-2, Vympel-2 radars, Tamir 5H sonar.|
CIA report about the Skoryy
Conway’s all the world’s fighting ships 1947-1995.
2-view technical profiles of the Skoriy and variants
Skoriy class profile, by the author
Neutrashimyy, the next generation.
Polish Wicher 2