Kynda class cruisers (1961-63)

Groznyy, Admiral Fokin, Admiral Golovko, Varyag

Kynda
Kynda

The four units of the Kynda class were the first Soviet missile cruisers. They were from the outset (1956) designed to respond to American aircraft carriers by another more modern means than the one hitherto maintained by Stalin, a fleet of lines. In addition, they inaugurated a system for launching a “volley” of 8 SS-N-3 “Shaddock” long-range (250 nautical-mile) long-range cruise missiles, with the recharge of 8 other vectors stored in containers just behind, in the superstructure. However, these reloading operations were long and delicate, requiring in addition acceptable sea conditions.

Note: This is an introduction on the matter, a starter article. It will be extensively rewritten soon, with the carrer of each ship detailed, and posted on Facebook.

Varyag 1989
Varyag 1989

These SS-N-3 vectors, capable of implementing a tactical or conventional nuclear warhead, but were dependent on guidance en route and final by Tupolev Tu-95 “Bear-D”. This armament was complemented by a SA-N-1 “Goa” short-range missile missile, with a reduced stock (16 vectors) and a relative efficiency. This set was complemented by two AA guns and four fast fire missile. The ASM defense consisted of two triple banks of acoustic torpedo tubes, and two RBU 6000 rocket launchers with 12 vectors each, and vertical reloading. Each rocket had a HE load of 75 Kgs. Automatically adjustable and exploding by magnetic proximity, coordinate calculations were fully managed by an electronic console taking its information to the hull sonar. This ASM defense was complemented by a Kamov Ka-25 “Hormone” helicopter, with a stern deck sport, but no hangar, which was a major problem in the mission.

Admiral Fokin circa 1995
Admiral Fokin circa 1995

A building of the Kynda class. The photo shows the huge anti-ship missile ramps and their reloading hangars whose hatches are visible behind. The red-orange color of the bridge and superstructures is a livery dating back to the forties, both reminiscent of traditional wooden bridges and the red color of the soviets. (img wiki DP). Finally the propulsion was done by a new system (like contemporary Kashin) of turbines powered by four supercharging boilers. Due to reduced hull size, this propellant was able to give them a speed of 34 knots. Despite these reduced dimensions, the four Kyndas, started at Zhdanov in 1960-61 and completed in 1962-65, were classified as missile cruisers (RKR). Class: Grozny, Admiral Fokin, Admiral Golovko, Varyag. The Varyag served in the Baltic Sea, the Golovko Black Sea, and the other two in the Pacific. In 1990, all four were active: They were removed from service in 1990, 1991, and 1993.

Kynda
Author’s illustration of the Kynda

Specifications

Displacement: 4400t, 5600t FL
Dimensions: 141,7 x 16,8 x 5,30m
Propulsion: 2 proppelers, 2 turbines, 4 chau HP., 100 000 hp. et 34 knots max.
Crew: 390
Electronics: Radars: 2 Don-2, 2 Head-net A/C, 2 Scoop Pair, Peel group, Owl Screech, 2 Plinth net, sonar Herkules, 3 CME Bell, 4 Top hat.
Armament: 2×4 LM SSN3 (16), 1×2 LM SAN1 (16), 4 canons de 76 mm (2×2), 6 TLT 533 mm (2×3), 2 LR ASM RBU 6000 (24).

Quebec class submarines (1950)
Moskva class Helicopter Cruisers (1965-68)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.