Kashin Class Destroyer Mediterranean January 1970
These buildings were the Soviet standard destroyers of the 60s and 70s. Versatile, with a hull always continuous deck, and designated in 1956 to replace the Kotlin and frigates of the Riga class. They were a new kind of escort capable of coping with submarines and modern jets flying flush with the waves and offering an umbrella against anti-ship missiles. They were the first large Soviet ships (and in the world) to use gas turbine technology. Their design was finalized and approved by the great Admiral Gorshkov at the end of 1957, but the construction of the first was begun in 1962 in Zhdanov. The others will be built partly to Nikolayev.
It was a design so innovative that all their equipment and weapons had to be redesigned and adapted, and the 3200 tons planned, we went to 3400. Their gas turbines were a notable success, allowing them to frank mounted, that conventional high-pressure turbines failed to obtain, had a longer life, generated more electricity. in addition, the thermal signature was treated by mixing the fumes “cut” with ventilated cold air in the chimneys. However, one of the units concerned, the Komsomolets Ukrainy, the first of the class, received the new M3 conventional turbines for testing, and reached the tests to reach 35.5 knots. Later, the Prozorlivy managed to reach 39.75 knots.
A Kashin in October 1985. (Img Wiki DP)
One of the paradoxes of these new gas turbines was their weight and their reduced size, which made it necessary to rethink the stability, because of the weight in the highs: The superstructures were more collected, also for a sake of more discreet radar signature. The Kashins were also the first Soviet ships to be equipped to survive a (relatively distant) nuclear explosion; they had compartments with rooms with special anti-radiation walls, including the bridge.
The Zderzhanny, the last of the 20 Kashin built, was completed in 1973 on a different design, and 5 others (the first Kashin) were modernized to its new standard: 30mm gatling guns, new radars, ECM, 4×16 Wympel decoys, 4 SSN-2c Styx cruising missiles in single ramps, new sonar, variable depth sonar, enlarged superstructures, and a helicopter landing lane at the stern. (but no shed) the addition of weights was understood by the addition of a solid ballast of 100 tons and additional tanks filled permanently. (4907 tons PC). The Provornyy tested in 1974-76 the new missile launcher SAN-7. He remained the only one with this configuration.
Other Kashin were built later, for India, 5 in all (Rajput class) between 1978 and 1985. They are still in use today. There were two losses in the class: One by accident, the Orel, ex-Otvazhnyy, in 1974, and the Smelyy, transferred in 1987 to Poland. Shortly before 1990, the Kashin career ended: Radiations in 1989: Ognevoy. In 1990: Oldarennyy, Provornyy and Stroynyy. 1991: Slavnyy, Komsomolets Ukraini. 1992: Sobrazitelnyy, Sposobny. 1993: Obraztsovyy, Steregushchiy, Smyshlennyy, Stroigiy. In 1995, there were still 5 in service, the last ones built: Krasny Kavkaz, Reshitelnyy, Smetlivyy, Krasny Krim, Skoryy, Sderzhannyy. The latter were put in reserve, but their general condition deteriorated.
Displacement: 6700-7630t 8565t FL
Dimensions: 173.5 x 18.50 x 5,32m
Propulsion: 2 propellers, 4 DGC turbines, 120,000 hp. and 32 nodes max.
Electronics: 2 Don Kay, 1 Don 2, 1 Sail Top, Head-net C, 2 Head Light, 2 Pop Group, 2 Owl Screech, 2 Bass Tilt. Blue Nose Sonar, Mare Tail, 8 CME Side Globes, 2/4 Rum Tub.
Armament: 2×4 miss. SSN14, 2×2 miss. SAN3, 2×2 miss. SAN4, 4 x 76mm (2×2) guns, 4 AM 30mm Gatling guns, 10 TLT 533mm (2×5), 2 ASM RBU 6000 LR, 2 RBU 1000, 1 Kamov Ka-25 Hormone ASM helicopter.